Not much of a story today behind these fabulous ribs, just a quick post as a Face Book follower has kindly requested the recipe.
These sticky, mouth-watering ribs, have been a firm favourite here for years. Although the cooking time is long, they are very easy to make and once they are in the oven can be more or less forgotten about for a couple of hours, making them a fabulous stress free meal but one that always feels like a bit of a treat. I like to serve mine with a big bowl of homemade quick coleslaw with maple syrup or if we are very hungry a dish of cous-cous with mixed in roasted vegetables.
Because I have been making them for a long time and have my own recipe in my head, probably every time I make them the ingredients vary slightly as I never measure anything and just judge by eye what I am putting in. As long as you haven’t put the ribs in, you can give the sauce a little taste before they go in the oven. You can alter the sauce to your own taste, if you think you would like them a little sweeter you could add more sugar or vice-versa, add a little more vinegar.
There is no need to use an expensive tomato sauce, I use Morrisons own Saver brand specifically for these. A 500g bottle will be enough for two lots of ribs. The bottle will keep quite happily in the fridge until I make them again.
Once they have been cooking for 2 hours and you remove the foil, you may think there is a lot of sauce. This will quickly reduce once the foil is removed, keep basting the ribs regularly and the sauce will become delightfully sticky and the ribs dark brown and luscious.
I always use a stone or ceramic dish to cook them in, from personal experience I find they cook better than in a metal baking dish.
For the vinegar I use Sherry Vinegar but balsamic or red wine vinegar would work as well.
I hope you like them, they really are a favourite here and I never tire of watching my son eat them. Be prepared for lots of sticky fingers and faces!
- Approx 800g Pork Ribs
- 1 Small Onion finely chopped
- 1-2 Cloves of Garlic chopped
- 250m Tomato Sauce (Ketchup)
- 80ml Hoisin Sauce
- 2 Tbs Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbs Clear Honey
- 3 Tbs Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbs Sherry Vinegar
- A couple of twists of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 160C (fan) 320F
- Put all the ingredients for the sauce in a baking dish large enough to fit the ribs.
- Mix well.
- Put in the ribs and coat all over with the sauce, leaving the curved side uppermost (like a tunnel).
- Cover with foil and cook for 2 hours.
- Remove the foil, baste and return to the oven for a further 30 minutes, basting every 10 minutes or so.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving (if you can).