At the time of writing, not only are fresh peaches delicious and abundant but they are also cheap. We like to make the most of seasonal gluts and have had a week or so of making peach ice-cream, peach sorbet, poached peaches etc..
Having satisfied our sweet tooth we’ve turned our attention to the savoury side with this dead-easy oven baked peach chutney. 15 minutes of preparation and 1 hour and 40 minutes in the oven, with a couple of stirs yields around 3lbs of very tasty baked peach chutney. Simply superb with goats cheese or a country paté this really easy chutney is well worth the small effort and deserves to be a family favourite to return to.
- 4 large fresh peaches, roughly chopped
- 300g golden raisins
- 700g onions, finely sliced
- 1 lemon, halved lengthways, finely sliced (pips removed)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 250ml cider vinegar
- 100ml water
- 500g light muscovado sugar
- Preheat fan oven to 180c.
- Keeping the sugar to one side, toss the rest of the ingredients into a large roasting tin and mix together.
- Cook for about 1 hour, stirring about every 20minutes.
- Add the sugar and stir in, cook for another 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The mixture should not be sloppy, it should be thick and sticky. If it is too dry with no liquid at all add a little water to loosen when the sugar is added.
- Spoon into sterilised jars and cover with vinegar proof lids.