Not many people eat red cabbage cooked let alone raw but this side dish is so quick to make, very delicious, and of course extremely healthy. A great accompaniment to ham or cold pork with creamy mashed potatoes.
The dressing can be adjusted to taste.
For salad dressings I keep a couple of empty jam jars with their lids just for this purpose. Put all the ingredients in and give it a good shake, it’s much easier, quicker and less messy than trying to whisk it in a bowl.
This makes quite a large bowl full but it will be perfectly fine the day after as well.
- Half a head of a medium red cabbage
- 1 crisp eating apple such as Braeburn
- 1 stick of celery
- Half a red onion
- 100ml cider vinegar
- 60ml olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- Black pepper
- Slice the cabbage and the onion and put in a large bowl.
- Mix the dressing in a jar and shake well.
- Pour over the cabbage, toss and leave to stand for about an hour.
- Just before serving toss dice the celery and the apple and mix into the cabbage.